Monday, March 25, 2013

Poetry Circus: A Day in the Life V. 2.55


In Remembrance to a Poem by Frank O' Hara

A Day in the Life (V. 2.55)




It is 11:10 in Lakeland, a Tuesday,
two days after the World Series,
it is 2012 and I brush my teeth pearl white,
because I will get off the cozy couch in my abode
at 1:15 and then go straight to work,
and I don't know who will buy my chicken.

I walk up the freezing, tree lined, dead end street
and open the mailbox with my small golden key
a stack of unwanted bills and political ads
greet my blue oil pocked hands.

                                        I go on to my deli
and Miss. Calmwater (first name Bernice I once heard)
doesn't even tell me to cut the salami thinner.
And, I ponder O'Keefe.                        
                                   I exhibit the slice.
or did I re-imagine film-scenes  from the Artist,
that dog stole the show, and made me smile; or
was I thinking about which friends I would call,
the images were practically lulling me to sleep,
                                       salami on my slicer,
                                        a pound and a half
                                        customer wanted
                                                          a half ---oops..
                                     

And then I am asked to help Ms. Cherry
I tread on to the kitchen tamultously
but my feet slip, Chaplinesque, from the grease
spilled onto the floor.
                            I wake up from my dream,
of Central School's playground and the smell of
caged turkeys being processed.
I smile... and stab the dead chickens.


And Bernice is mad that the chickens are only
half cooked.
                  "Can't he do anything right?"

And I am sweating a lot, because it is time to go
home (my wife, a glass of wine, a nice wet dream),
and there is so much to clean;
Patsy Kline sings the lines to Crazy
written by Willie Nelson.
                               
                                   I push my broom faster,
                                   flattening the bristles.
                                   
I imagine my manager saying,
                   "Can't you do anything right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog