Thursday, October 31, 2013

Book Reviewed: Moby-Dick

Moby-Dick; or, The WhaleMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A great book that is so much more than just a hunting of a whale.  Or an obsession towards an objective truth.   This book is truly one I would take with me on an Island and read and re-read again.   The power of the whale is worth the great white hunt?"  Its also worth all the background material on Whales.  For the background gives the amazing quality that whales held on Nantucket and New England at one time.  One can not get to the heart of Ahab's folly without the heart exposed of a great white whale.    "I watched last night, on Nova, Scientists attempting to find the Wolverine, an elusive animal, that dodges, darts and hides from man. I recalled Ahab's search for Moby-Dick. The scientists held the same type of fanaticism to find their wolverines."
The theme in this book are tremendous and can relate to a variety of themes, ranging from God's Providence, the role of Government, the need to be brutal in this world;  Or is it a search for that one thing that gives us independence of God's dealing and the perceived human shackled existence.

This book will be read again and again, and is part of my essential library.

I also enjoyed the "Big Book Project" from the lads across the Pond in Plymouth U.K..  Listening to this project really helps me comprehend the book and the romantic notes written by Melville.

Haiku Summary:
Caught in that line,  - Ahab battled demons by - casting overboard.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog