Friday, June 24, 2016


House of LeavesHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Awesome. Okay more than awesome. But this book is so big that your mind will need time to settle into it. I recommend reading Mark Z Danielewski several times, not because his books are confusing; but because there is so much to get the first time; most people will not get it the first time. I plan to re-read this book, which I rarely do. I had found this book from a fellow participant in my writing class. I had read one of my dreams to the class. The dream involved a corridor where there was infinite space and an innumerable amount of doors, and false paths. I record my most vivid dreams. Once I was finished a girl in the class asked, "Have you read Danielewski." Like a bloodhound my head turned suddenly and i was like "Huh, what?" She replied "Danielewski the author of House of Leaves." Your dream is just like Danelski." Then I had her spell the name out for me so that I could find a copy. I found a copy and began reading immediately. My dream was similar to this statement in the book, " everyone else sees a series of lefts eventually leads them to the apparently endless corridor which again to the left offers entrance into the huge space where..." The book was great. One aspect that Danielewski does expertly is getting details correct: The train in Tucson. Yes the tracks run right down the street. I am lead to believe that I have been at the bar he talks about, but it was morning, and the light of the night was extinguished. So totally different viewpoint but the bathroom was clean and the place looked fun. I remember a large grand piano on a small black box stage. There were curtains pulled. The whole effect was elegance, just like this book. I did not have the time to stay there, but I wish I had. He also describes a southwest sunset with the right splashes,"Reds finally marrying blues. Soon night will enfold us." I love the word enfold.
 His books are also beautiful and are worth having a hard copy of.   I even made a new folder on Good Reads, because of the look of his books: Books Worth Owning a Hard Copy Of".   Now, I know most of his books are paper bond but I would collect any book that is as beautiful as Mark's books, including , and of course House of Leaves. .  He has given reason to buy books from a bookstore, and not just download copies.   I plan to buy his books as soon as I am able, as money right now is tight.  


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog