Saturday, April 28, 2018

Replay is a Companion to Ready Player One

Replay: The History of Video GamesReplay: The History of Video Games by Tristan Donovan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Replay was a fascinating look into the computer game world that I missed out on. After reading it,  I wish I would have made more time for video games. But, this book showed me the creative construction of "ready player one" like worlds. I am thankful that Tristan Donovan took his time to research this world so thoroughly and engaging. The book overall was interesting as a side view on the setting that I grew up in.  There were memories that came back to me as I listened: I remembered my aunt's Pac Man fever in Breckenridge Colorado.  She just had to find the game, and she did find the game at the basement of the ski chalet.  I remembered being a teenager in Boulder Colorado, and seeing my first view of virtual reality.  I remember the smell of the video game palaces. The palaces had the smell of sweat and victory over the space invaders.  I also felt led by the narrative in a way that I could expect what was coming next.  The author deftly led me to key moments in the narrative.  I did like the first part better than the last part, that of starting from nothing to create something.  Overall this book was a movement in time, and I was never a video game junkie.  I think I would have enjoyed this book had I had time with the games described. But this book has a strong enough narrative to bring the general reader along for a ride.  The audio performance by Gary Furlong was just right, not interfering with the history being laid out; yet interesting enough to keep you listening.   I listened to this book  while spraying trees and shrubs at Bella Trae in Davanport Florida.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog