Monday, March 19, 2012

Dubliners and Wee Folk 5:31


The Man of the House(1949 first published in The New Yorker)



“I don't want tea," said Clary, with muffled force. "I want to find my mother. And then I want to find out who took her in the first place, and I want to kill them."
"Unfortunately," said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing.”
Cassandra Clare, City of Bones 



The Plain Facts


  1. Length:7 pages

  2. Genre:Irish Literature

  3. Characters:

      • Mother:

      • Son: Gus

      • The Fire and smoke in the fireplace
      • The Daughter of the Pharmacist.


  4. Setting:County Cork Ireland

So, what's It About Man?


An araby-esque type story, where the young lad goes out, finds a fantastic place for ventures, and then comes back to a house returned to normal.

First Words

As a kid I was as good as gold so long as I could concentrate.

Last Words

She'd been cured.


Favorite Quote


  1. I was always a great believer in buttered toast. pg 183

What I Loved About the Story



      • He tells this story with love and appreciation of his mother; by revealing all of the truth but not talking down about his mother well-fare.  This is a short Araby-esque story where the young lad meets the young callie and falls into traps of temptation.   However, he comes back from his adventure and finds all has become normal again.  The heart in which the author writes is fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog