|Queen Esther, 2003, Oil on Canvas, 43 x 63 in by Orit Arfa|
― Ginger Garrett, Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther
Visiting with King Ahasuerus (1909 - 1911)
The Plain Facts
- Length:read the excerpt of 13 pages.
- Genre:Yiddish Old Country Tales
- Characters:Tevye speaks to Shalom Aleichem.
- Setting: a little village where Tevye lives, and the woods and nature that surrounds it. The story takes place during Purim a time of great festivity much like Mardi Gras. The Jewish people celebrate God's providence in giving victory to the Jewish People over the great Persian Empire.
. This story shares the great joys held in the holiday of Purim.
So, what's It About Man?
First WordsDo you know who I was jealous of when I was a little boy?
How to delight
Before his God,
His sacred light.
Joy in Moderation,
For his holy nation.
For God, the King
Living and great,
Next year in Jerusalem
We shall gladly wait.
Literary Review:This story shows the class division that is held in the small town. The rabbis are the ones with money, while the workers scrape at the dirt, to find something to eat. The oral story telling illustrates how ideas were shared between illiterate folk. The story is beautiful re-telling of the nature of Purim.
- read the Jewish Literary Review
Purim means Lots. The celebration of Esther and Mordachai's saving work from the hard-nosed Persian Haman. The story shows the lots that are divided between rich and poor, the hungry and the full.
|hifalutin||Pompous or pretentious.|
|robed in purple||royal colors, so to be robed in purple means to be wearing the clothes of royalty.|