Thursday, March 28, 2013

Poetry Circus: My Route to Lakeland Florida 2006


I began
1893 miles from-
the start of the connect 
the dot puzzle,
(Start) Lakeland Florida
to Atlanta Georgia,
to Chattanooga Tennessee
to St. Louis, Missouri,
to Lawrence, Kansas,
to Denver, Colorado,
up to my home Longmont.
(End)  
29.5 hours trapped
behind the steering
wheel, and day dreaming
like a little train headed
across I-70 and down I-75.
I think I see a picture 
emerge, one that looks 
like a rabbit 
with an enormous 
carrot. Did you 
think I would 
be crass?
Or sick?
I ended.

I am learning my voice and pattern.  I can begin to understand what Amiri Baraka meant when he said you must find your own rhythm, your own swing.   When I attempted to force in the parts the rhythm betrays the poem.  I must continue to work on hearing my own voice so that I can write authentically well.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog