Monday, August 27, 2012

Men Naked in the Woods:



Here lies A little explanation of Men Naked in the Woods.  Robert Bly, the poet and activist, inspired me to dig deep into what it means to be a man in the twenty-first century.    Men have become weak due to lack of mature role models in our society.   We are in an age where the man have become "half adults."  A society created by "half-adults" is problematic because it "lacks leadership, daring initiative, creativity, and deep care about others."*   I am not a professional psychologist.  All I can offer is my personal experience with growing up.   I hope to utilize myths as well as the bible to dig deeper and grow more into my adult role.   

Last Tuesday, on Facebook,  I responded to Proverbs 21:5:

The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance,
but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.

Here is the entry I hit my head with the door of the chill blaster at work. The reason was I was trying to go too fast. There is a difference between haste and timely executed. Haste often leads to unwanted results like a concussion or a band aid on the head. Diligence is due and of a proper time, not a time where you are so pumped up you cause mistakes. 



*Wikipedia Article on Robert Bly. 
 A poem by Robert Bly published in Poetry Magazine August 1962:
Taking the hands
Taking the hands of someone you love,
You see they are delicate cages...
Tiny birds are singing
In the secluded prairies,
And in the deep valleys of the hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog