- The war was fought aggressively on the Southern home front.
- The South was agrarian. The southern soil was sacred. The soil was bloodied, salted and destroyed by North Aggression. (Especially Sherman's march to the sea.)
- 20% of Southern White Men fought; only 6% of Northern Yankees fought in the Civil War.
- Women of the south were hit hard by economic hardships, and Yankee aggressive campaigns to rid Rebels of their homes.
- Women taught young Rebel boys to hate Northerners.
"After the war a Confederate officer remarked in his diary that his son was being taught by southern women to hate Northerners: The child's bread is buttered with hatred, his milk is sweetened with it, his top spins and his ball bounces with it." *
Ezekiel 18: 10-13 States the southern view perfectly:10 "Suppose he has a violent son, who sheds blood or does any of these other things [b] 11 (though the father has done none of them):
"He eats at the mountain shrines.
He defiles his neighbor's wife.
12 He oppresses the poor and needy.
He commits robbery.
He does not return what he took in pledge.
He looks to the idols.
He does detestable things.
13 He lends at usury and takes excessive interest.
Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done all these detestable things, he will surely be put to death and his blood will be on his own head.
*Mc Whiney, Grady The Civil War: A concise Account by a Noted Southern Historian (Abileen Texas: Mc Whiney Foundation Press 2005), 90.