Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Origami: Folding-Fears


We all have phobias*.  Some of these phobias are life preserving (e.g. Rattlesnakes), others are just our fears of not being good enough (e.g. I might fail).   Today I have decided to take on my fear of folding paper in the ancient practice called Origami.  Origami started in the 17th century, folding cranes was a practice done for weddings in ancient Japan.**
I have always had a fear of failing to fold things properly.  I got tired of people trying to help a poor cerebal palsy kid learn how to fold paper properly.  I have learned to not even try.
 But I need to face that fear and enjoy the process of folding paper.   I promise to myself that I will allow myself to fail, or to work a long time on the little art.  I know that in time I can get good at anything I put my mind to; but at first the origami creations may not look so good. But with God all things are possible, and I shall not fear but go forward into the folded future.






*Fears
**Or maybe they could not find a metal alloy, and they needed Ninja Flying Stars, so they decided, well we have all this paper, why not fold them into weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog