Sunday, July 4, 2010

Alexander Rothbard: The Sale Part Two



(Continued from July 3rd 2010) I reached into my bag and brought out five cartons of Philip Morris and 500 Flat 50's.  I started my presentation and the dealer interrupted with, "What else do you want to sell?"  He bought my entire stock, built the display himself,  asked for two posters and went outside and put them up with paste, a perfect angle shot.  That did it.  It was the most difficult job in my life to hold back the tears.  I thanked the dealer and went out.   It was a little after 2:00 p.m. and my bag was empty.  However, the sale did not cheer me because he had bought,  I did not sell.  After five minutes of thinking "Why" ,  I returned and asked the dealer why he bought. the Philip Morris from me.  He stated that he had watched me through this window while I was making up my mind to come i, said I looked real "beat" and in need of a lift, so when I came in and put those cigarettes on the counter and started to talk, he could not help but try to cheer me.  I then noted that he took the flat 50's and opened them up--again.  "Why?".  "For the one cent sales"  was the answer--a new one on me.


That sale did the trick.  I bought five cartons of Philip Morris back from the dealer and a carton of Flat 50's, with the provision that if I did not sell them he would buy them from me--again. From 2:30-6:30 p.m.  I not only sold the cigarettes but also sold, displayed and merchandised 5 additional cigarettes from this same dealer since there was no jobber in the area, and he called a jobber and ordered 10 Philip Morris for delivery to him the next morning.  A most unforgettable sale.






 
It taught me the following:


1. Consistency of effort will always pay off.  A poor morning does not spell disaster. There is always a rinbow just over the horizon.  Keep going!
2.  The importance of good customer relations.  The old adage, "Sell Yourself andYou Sell Your Product" is true, but remember, always sell your company too.
3.  You can't sell your product unless you show that product, and present it with enthusiasm.
4.  The proper care of stock and company equipment.










Numbers that appeared on the original were:
1450    13.75
  260       290
17.10       16.65

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog