Thursday, July 1, 2010

Twilight Series: Eclipse











Yes, I asked my wife to go see the matinee of Twilight.  According to the bro-code, I probably lost about 30 man points in watching this movie.   But so what?  Because my wife and I both enjoyed the film.

I learned something from the new Twilight Series about the need for traditional values in today's youth conscious. Edward (the Vampire) is a great character of heroic stature. If I was Bella's father I would want the right guy to marry my daughter. Edward would truly be someone who I would have no problem saying"Yes, you can be my son in law!" He stands by his girl. He is respectful of her body. And he believes in traditional values.

At first Bella's dad thinks there is something different about this boy. No one can be this respectful these days. I would not expect boys in 2010 to act so courageously. He desires to be right with Bella's dad, and wants to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage.



Too bad Edward is fictional and is also a vampire, but perhaps we can dream of a day, when boys become like Edward and court the girl. Lets hope that the good bachelors are not vampires.













Twilight' — Big on Vampire-Style Traditional Values

Wednesday, 30 Jun 2010 02:37 AM

By: James Hirsen

The Left Coast Report: A Political Look at Hollywood

A Newsmax Report



"Eclipse," the latest installment in the phenomenal "Twilight" series, is generating Internet tweets and posts from fans that can't wait to see the parade of new movie icons that appear in the franchise.

Stephenie Meyer, a Mormon, wrote the best-selling novels, which were transformed into screenplays that have captured the imagination of tweens, teens, and even adults.

A number of critics, however, have expressed discomfort with some of the values that are found in the "Twilight" stories.

Bella's marriage to Edward has traditional romantic aspects, particularly when it comes to the notion of nuptials lasting forever. She stays away from alcohol and cigarettes and also chooses to avoid coffee and tea, just like the author who created her.

When abortion is suggested because Bella's child is half vamp, she summarily rejects the idea.

She often engages in traditional domestic roles such as preparing meals and cleaning, which undoubtedly tweaks feminist extremists. Perhaps the most vexing to the "Twilight" critics, though, is the fact that the main characters, Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson), have exercised a form of cinematic abstinence through three movies.

At the "Eclipse" premiere, Pattinson spoke to E! about Edward's restraint. When asked whether his character's self-control is relatable to guys his age, Pattinson answered, "I hope so."

He said he wouldn't know for sure because he didn't really attend a normal high school. "I went to a very romantic high school," the actor said.

Underscoring the abstinence theme depicted in the "Twilight" films, Ashley Greene, who portrays Alice Cullen in the film said, "I think that's the positive impact and positive message our film has: to teach girls there are guys that will wait for you, and there are guys that will respect you."

Kellan Lutz, who plays Emmett Cullen, thinks that self-control and a special kind of waiting are behaviors that are coming back. "The world has gone kind of corrupt," Lutz said. "I remember from my day, I had twin brothers in high school — all those drugs are around, what are kids doing these days, and other things, sexual experiences. In reading these books, my sisters really stay true to themselves and their feelings and don't just go off of lust, but love, and holding out."

Lutz added, "It's really cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog