Friday, October 15, 2010

Review: Alfred Bester Demolished Man

The Demolished ManThe Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


People have already commented a lot on this book... read their reviews for a fuller view of Bester's great work.
  I think that the psycho-analysis, Jungian, and Freudian play in this book is great.  
I truly got caught up in the ultra reality presented here. The book was introduced to me by Michael Chabon in his book Maps and Legends.   Chabon made a comment that the ending of the Demolish Man was purely classic.  At times this book does get bogged down, but then again it might just be my attention deficit; or it could be that Bester tried to be too mind bending, and played too much with the genre of science fiction, and thus losing the flow of the story.   However, the ending (which I refuse to give away) is an incredible haunting work of art, and worth all of the stumbling through Bester's muddled mind.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog