Sunday, April 24, 2011

XLII Days with Huck Finn XLIII: XLII (Final One)






The Adventures of Huckleberry FinnThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this book a lot. The experience of encapsulating every chapter into a poem was a fun but challenging experience. Twain had a lot more than just a kids book in mind when he wrote this.
He was writing to all people who were caught up in the political question: "Should one leave slavery alone, or do something about it?"

I however, did grow tired of Tom and felt like grabbing him by the lapels and screaming, "Grow up Kid!"  But it was merely a book, and Tom Sawyers merely a fictional character, so I restrained myself.  And maybe, just maybe that was Twain's motive; maybe he was attempting to say, "America your acting like annoying Tom Sawyer, come on and grow up; these are real people involved with your political melodrama."

This book is an astute answer to the political cross hairs of the nineteenth century.


View all my reviews

My Next Poetic Challenge is Moby Dick by Herman Melville, bring on the whale!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog