“I am officially Jewish, but I’m Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant.” ― A.J. Jacobs, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible
TIMETIPPING by Jack Dann 1975
The Plain Facts
- Length:9 Pages
- Genre:Science Fiction
- Category:Time Travel in the Era of New Wave Science Fiction
- Characters:Moshe the "Time-Tipping Yid".
- Broklyn New York
- Somewhere in the South West of the United States.
|Time Slipping Age||600 yrs in the past|
A Brooklyn Jew time slips from synagogue to synagogue, spying on the monks as he travels "Times Highway." One of my favorite stories in the collection: "The Best time travel stories of the 20th Century."
So, what's It About Man?
First WordsSince timetipping, everything moved differently.
Last WordsToday he'd sit and watch monks.
- The city was a moving kaleidoscope of colors from every period of history, all melting into different costumes as the thieves and the diplomats and princes and merchants strolled down the cobbled streets of Brooklyn. pg 205
What I Learned About Writing
- I never thought that a Shalom Aleichem type character could write a great time travel story but there it is. I must keep true to my heritage and roots in my writing in order to create real characters.
- Uses Yiddish in his science fiction stories. Wowzer!
- He was a Science Fiction writer who embraced his Hebrew Roots.
- Time Tipping can be found in a collection of his titled Jubilee!
|goyim||all non jews|
|babushka||a woman's head covering|
|yarmulke||a man's skull cap|
|cabalist||an expert who is highly skilled in obscure or difficult or esoteric matters|