Friday, January 21, 2011

42 Days with Huck Finn 3:42

Quote and Context:

 Huck and Tom laid ambush on what they hoped would be a bunch of Arabs or Spainards, but was really a primer Sunday School Class.  All they could find was a hymnal, some jam, and a rag doll:


He said if I warn't so ignorant, but had read a book called Don Quixote, I would know without asking. He said it was all done by enchantment. He said there was hundreds of soldiers there, and elephants and treasure, and so on, but we had enemies which he called magicians; and they had turned the whole thing into an infant Sundayschool, just out of spite. I said, all right; then the thing for us to do was to go for the magicians. Tom Sawyer said I was a numskull. 

Poetic Impression: Baku


Huck is a perfect "sap-head",
low down, in the muck,
life like,
logic.


Personal Experience


When I was a kid and I would read too many Louis L'Amour books; my bike would become a horse, my brother was an injun, and I was a scout looking for reds.   The make believe world became more real than the real world I was a part of.

Don Quixote Reads into our Enchanted World
Huck is only able to think like a natural man, his ability to use imagination is lacking.   It is real, or it is unreal, there is no fantasy land for Huck.  Huck is a survivalist.  And does not have the safety to day dream, day dreaming takes a certain security to be able to do.  He plays Sancho to Tom Sawyer's Quixote.




Read Chapter Three

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog